Friday, April 2, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake


Ask my closest friends, and they will tell you that I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with Marie Antoinette.  I visited Versaille during a high school spring break trip, but truthfully, I was way more interested in why it smelled like pee after hundreds of years (yes, those lazy Frenchies peed behind tapestries instead of using the proper loo....or so that is what our tour guide said).  Since then, however, I have become a woman obsessed.  Maybe it started with reading The Journey by Antoinia Fraser, then I sank further down the rabbit hole after Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antoinette which finally humanized this controversial figure, but I was completely done in after reading Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution by Caroline Weber.

So, in my email newsletter from The Museum at F.I.T. I was thrilled to see they had scheduled Caroline Weber to discuss her book and Marie Antoinette's wardrobe and its influence on the history of fashion in France.  I have been to a handful of discussions at F.I.T., which have been greatly entertaining, and I just love their museum with its ever-changing exhibits.  And best of all....it's free!  So, if you are in NYC on Monday, April 19th I would love to see you there!  Discussion starts at 7pm.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails