Friday, February 10, 2012

The Un-Valentine's Day Card

I love Valentine's Day.  And not in an ooey gooey lovey dovey way (because I can't remember the last time I had a boyfriend over V-Day), but in a love my family, love my friends, life is good way.  I send Valentine's Day cards every year, so I was thrilled that my favorite website du jour, Design Sponge, had a few posts on crafty Valentine's Day projects.  I loved this sophisticated pink ombre card they made with watercolors, and I am in no way shape or form a pink person, but it just looked so cool and modern.  So, last weekend I headed to the art supply store and for about $30 I created truly unique handmade Valentines.  If that doesn't say love, then I don't know what does.

Materials: Watercolors, one wide brush, one thinner brush, watercolor postcards, gold paint marker

Use the wide brush to give the post card a good coating with water.


Load up the brush with red and draw a line across the top.


The water helps the paint travel down the card.

I found it better to help the paint along towards the bottom with the watery wide brush.

Let dry then repeat on the other side.  The cards curled up from the water then flattened out once dry.

Use the paint marker to draw a gold border along the edges.  This was a perfect finishing touch.  Use the gold for writing in a little message and the name & address.
Here's how Design Sponge pulled it off.  But, I though switching to postcards and the paint marker really simplified things.  Happy Valentines Day!! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails