Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Weekend in the Chizzle



You know you've chosen the right friends when though you haven't seen them for a year, it you feels like you grabbed coffee just yesterday.  I hit up Chicago two weekends ago to begin a week-long work trip with a few days hanging with my college bestie and Austin soul sister, Shani Silver.  She also happens to be the Chicago editor of Refinery 29, so that means she not only knows the best things to do, but I also get to relieve her of a cornucopia of beauty products, clothing, and footwear---thank you for the boots, they saved my life when it started snowing on Thursday and the oxfords didn't cut it.  Here are the highlights of my little adventure.

Hooray!  It's the weekend!  Shani's lovely Wicker Park apartment complete with well-stocked bar.  Shani made an amazing dinner of goat cheese mushroom crostini, spinach parmesean pasta, and bespoke cocktails.  People cook in Chicago!

On Saturday morning I took the bus downtown where I stopped in at Nordstrom Rack to stock up on fun argyle and striped socks (been on my to-do list forever).  Then I walked along Michigan Ave. to Millennium Park and the new contemporary wing of the Art Institute of Chicago.  Here are a few of my favorite works.

My favorite color: Yves Klein Blue

I'm usually not into German art, but this Max Beckman self portrait was very striking.

Love Alex Katz.


Are we in Austin or Chicago?  Noshing guac, tacos, and margs at Big Star.  Of course, this was followed by a disco nap.

Check out the tiki mugs at Sable Kitchen + Bar.  You can't not laugh when drinking booze from a shrunken head.

Bacon jam.  Jesus.

Spend Sunday in the burbs doing some outlet shopping.  I have to take advantage of a person with a car.

How kind of them to name their line of wine glasses after me!  I never met a grape I didn't like.




      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails