Monday, September 14, 2009

Five Fall Trends You Must Own

Let's cut to the chase. Now that September is here, the nights are getting cooler (at least in NYC), and it feels a bit sacrilegious to be running around in metallic gladiator sandals and maxi dresses. Here are the 5 things you need this fall to update your look.

1. Plaid flannel shirt - Shocking I know, but I am seeing these everywhere and on everyone in NYC. Please don't be ridiculous and spend $200 on a flannel at Barneys. This trend is sure to be short-lived so head to some place downmarket. The look is more "going to my house upstate" and not so much "I live in Seattle circa 1993".

2. Lipstick - Lipstick is back and bold. I am not talking about wimpy gloss or watery stains. This is the cheapest way to update your look. For all of $9 at CVS you can transform your face. My favorite is Revlon Super Lustrous.

3. Ankle Boots - It doesn't matter if they are flats or heels just as long as they stop around your ankle. I am personally excited to be wearing shoes with a little more coverage during chilly nights AND the added bonus of not having to stuff straight leg jeans into tall boots. I am currently on the search for a pair in gray leather....any ideas?

4. Day-Glo - Neon brights were all over the runways for fall, but an entire dress or coat in hazard orange may be a little much. I am going for scarves, cardigans, gloves, and socks to spice it up.

5. Luxe Leggings - This 80's staple has been back for the past two years thanks to American Apparel, but now they are luxed up. I saw an amazing pair at Vince yesterday (for an equally amazing $800) that was a mix of lycra and this stretch faux-leather material. Leggings are replacing jeans this year in my wardrobe. And, on those bitterly cold days opt for leggings with tights underneath. They are WAY warmer than jeans....and it's nice to have a little body conscious coupled with that big coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails