Thursday, September 23, 2010

Alton Brown's Perfect Popcorn


 Saturday night makes me think of two things: movies and popcorn.  I know, I know, this is not a food blog, nor am I a movie critic, but I must give you this homemade popcorn recipe I found courtesy of The Food Network and Alton Brown.  And why may you ask am I digressing to homemade popcorn?  5 reasons.


- It tastes amazing.
- It is so easy to make.
- Now that they have put the calorie counts next to popcorn at the movies I am done with it.
- If you really wanted to, you could bring a Ziplock bag of it to the movies and save like $6.
- Microwave popcorn is nasty and tastes like chemicals.

Ok, here is what you need:
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels (I love the ones from the bulk section at Whole Foods)
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil (I have used corn oil for my friend with a nut allergy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- Optional flair (I love a bit of pecorino and chopped rosemary)

Now do this:
- Set your stove on medium
- Put the oil, salt, and kernels in a stock/pasta pot
- Cover the pot with foil and poke a few holes with a knife
- Shake the pot continuously back and forth over the burner
- Keep shaking when the kernels start popping
- After the popping slows down, remove from heat, add butter, and stir

The whole process takes about 5 minutes, and you will never go back to Orville Redenbacher again!

Image by Barbara K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails